Is there a formal partnership between and MDNR for this event? is operating under permit as an MDNR Recreation 101 Educational Program MSPOTA has been in communication with the MDNR and they fully recognize our mutual benefits to both Amateur Radio and the MDNR.

What is required for entry into a Michigan State Park or State Recreation Area?

All park visitors including MSPOTA Activators must have a MDNR Recreation Passport for park entry and are responsible for any fees as required for park access. Michigan Residents may purchase a one year Recreation Passport (license plate sticker) for $11.00 from the Secretary of State when renewing their license plates. The Recreation Passport which will grant access to all Michigan State Parks, Recreation Areas, boat launches and harbors.

If you purchase your Recreation Passport through the Secretary of State, you also receive access to the statewide Passport Perks shopping discount program, giving you discounts to your favorite local businesses and services.

Non-residents: can purchase an annual pass in advance at or buy an annual or daily pass in person at a state park or Customer Service Center.

Non-resident annual pass: $31 – Non-resident daily pass $9

Camping & Lodging at Michigan State Parks and Recreation Areas

Activators who will be camping must make reservations via Camping & Lodging –

General Park Rules

MDNR maintains a general rules and regulations page >MDNR Park Rules<  other Park specific rules may apply. MSPOTA Activators should review a unit’s rules and regulations and contact the unit directly with questions before your visit.

Do I Need a Special Use Permit to operate in an MDNR Park?

MSPOTA is operating as a Recreation 101 Educational Program under a permit issued by the DNR. There are no other permits required for small scale activations not requiring park facilities other than the Recreation Passport described earlier. MDNR Park staff have been made aware of the MSPOTA program by their headquarters and will welcome you. It always best to call ahead but not required for small scale activations.

Larger, club events, over several days or with multiple operators must prearrange/coordinate such activities with park staff and may require permits to use facilities such as pavilions etc. Please contact the park office to make such arrangements well ahead of your intent to operate or they may not be able to accommodate you.

Impromptu (unannounced / combat style / without prior notice) Activators may still operate but may not have the accommodations available to them such as access to 110v or pavilions etc. That said if activating “combat style” it’s up to you to assure (check spots etc.) that there is not someone activating the unit already and if so be sure to make one on one contact to work out modes/bands with them directly.

We do require that at a minimum you check in with the park HQ (staffed parks) even if your activation is on an impromptu, “work-from-my-car” stealth basis.

  • All activators are required to check in with the park contact station/office to sign-in and receive guidance as to operation location etc.
  • All activators will be required to check-out upon leaving the park.
  • Activator “kits” containing park information, rules, signage etc. will be stationed at the park HQ for you use.